Ragi or what we call Finger Millet is very rich in proteins and calcium. All Doctors advice parents to give Ragi products to kids. I have already given one recipe of Ragi, Wholesome Porridge, which can be given to kids of age below 3 year. But as kids grow up, their taste buds also become active. J. They would want a change. So here is another healthy and delicious recipe of Ragi, which my son loves to eat as I call it Ragi Chocolate. It is also known as Ragi Halubai, or Ragi Duddali in Konkani.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Servings: Many, It can be preserved in refrigerator as well.
- 1 cup Ragi(Finger Millet)
- 2 table spoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup jaggary
- 2 cups water
- About ¼ teaspoon crushed cardamom
- 3 table spoon chopped nuts
- 1 table spoon ghee for greasing
- Mix Ragi powder, Cocoa powder and water thoroughly and pour it into a heavy bottom cooking vessel/kadai.
- Keep on stirring as it should not form lumps.
- Add more water to get the consistency for around 10 minutes.
- Add jaggary now, keep on stirring for another 15 minutes.
- Add cardamom and chopped nuts.
- Now it will start thickening.
- Grease a plate with little ghee and pour the mix.
- Make a medium thick layer so as to cut it into pieces.
- Ragi chocolate is ready to serve.
PS: It is a soft chocolate, which preschooler would love to eat.