quite a few variety of leafy vegetables are available. For my recipe I have
used Spinach(palak soppu), Methi ( Menthe soppu), Dill leaves ( Sabbassige
soppu), Amaranath leaves (dantina soppu) and two more local soppu. We can as well use any of the two available greens for this dish.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- 1 each small bunch Green leafy vegetables explained above.
- 1/4th cup Toor dal
- 4 -5 Green chillies
- 1 big Onion cut into cubes
- 1 big Tomato cut into cubes
- 1 medium size Tamrind
- 1 whole Garlic, separated and cleaned
- 1 tea spoon Turmeric powder
- 1 table spoon Garam masala/ Sambar powder
- 1/2 tea spoon Mustard seeds
- Oil for seasoning
- 1 strand Curry leaves
- 2 Red chillies
- Salt as per taste
- Soak toor dal for around 2 hours in water.
- Clean and wash all the greens and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add soaked toor dal, all the greens, green chillies, onion, tomato, garlic, turmeric powder, tamarind.
- Pressure cook it for 1 whistle.
- Once the cooker cools down, transfer the contents of cooker to blender.
- Don't blend it to smooth paste. Grind it coarsely as shown in picture.
- Finely transfer the contents of blender to a kadai.
- Add salt, garam masala / sambar powder and chilli powder if needed.
- Mix it well and let it cook for 4 - 5 minutes.
- In a separate small pan, add oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chillies.
- Add this seasoning to the curry and serve hot soppu saru with hot rice or ragi mudde.