In south western coast of India, also known as the Konkan region, Clams are used to cook curries and side dishes, like Tisaryachi Ekshimpi (which is clams with one shell on), Clam curry in coconut, Clam vada etc. Opening the shell of the Clam and taking out the flesh is one of the toughest task while preparing dishes of Clams. But the final outcome is worth of taking the trouble of opening them. They taste great with onion and coconut combination as vada. Here is the recipe of Clam Vada.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes.
- 1 cup Clams
- 3/4 cup fresh/frozen coconut
- 1 tea spoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 table spoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 table spoon son tamarind extract (or 2 pieces of tamarind)
- 7-8 red chilies
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup rice rava(idli rava)
- Open the shell of the Clam and separate the flesh as shown in picture.
- Heat little oil and fry coriander seeds and red chillies.
- Grind coriander seeds, red chillies, coconut, tamarind, turmeric and salt without adding too much water.
- To this paste, add clams and onions.
- Mix all together and make balls.
- Roll the balls in rice rava.
- Slightly press them with hand and Shallow fry on tava as shown in picture.
- Use oil for fryng as per your use.
- Serve with rice as a side dish.